Pages

Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Gessler at Daquise - Polish feast- restaurant review


Polish food, loved by many, hated by a few. You know who you are. ;-) Gessler at Daquise is a Polish restaurant situated in South Kensington  just behind the train station in 20 Thurloe Street. It's been taken over by the famous Polish family, The Gesslers who own one of the best Polish restaurants in Warsaw, U Kucharzy, awarded with a Michelin star.

Walking into Daquise feels like being back in Poland, simple decor in Polish old school style, friendly Polish staff and a homely feel.






For starters I ordered pierogi (dumplings), what else? Served straight from the pan to my plate. Unexpected but brought back a few nice memories. All dishes are served onto one's plate straight from the kitchen,  with grease from the pan, something my mother would do to make sure I eat properly. My main course was veal escalope a la Toklas with stamed carrots and egg noodles.






That dish was absolutely amazing, I am still dreaming about it but I guess I am biased ;-) Despite the fact it was delicious, I have struggled to finish  as the portions are very big and together with pierogi as a starter you have to make sure you are very hungry beforehand. My friend had chosen red borscht as a starter which he didn't like so much (Americans!!!) but I am sure it was perfect. For main course it was venison medallions flambĂ© served with beetroot. Unfortunately we hadn't had any space for dessert (next time!) but I can only dream about pancakes... Mmmmm....

Looking at the menu I'd really like to try everything so I guess I will be coming back many times. The staff is very friendly and attentive and overall a great dining experience. I'll be back very soon.

Visit Gessler at Daquise



No comments:

Post a Comment